6 cups water (you may use distilled bottled water)
1/4 cup kosher salt (use only kosher salt)
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 lbs small cucumbers, thoroughly scrubbed
1/3-1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh dill (for a stronger dill flavor increase to 3/4 cup)
8 large fresh garlic cloves (coarsely chopped or sliced, use more for a stronger garlic taste)
8 whole black peppercorn
1. Clean the glass jar and lid thoroughly in your dishwasher or with hot soapy water.
2. Combine the water, salt and vinegar in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. (open the window as fumes can be strong!)
3. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
4. Pack the cucumbers and the remaining ingredients in a 2-quart glass jar, and pour brine (water/vinegar mixture) over them, covering the cucumbers completely.
5. Store, covered in the refrigerator.
6. The pickles will be ready in 7 days, but the longer you leave them in the refrigerator the better they will be and will keep refrigerated for months (if they last that long!).
7. **NOTE** since the peel is eaten on these pickles, make certain to wash and scrub the outside of the cucumbers well to remove any dirt. I use a vegetable brush to scrub off any sharp prickers.